In 2009, three colleagues, Rebecca Gonsalvez, Reena Mary George and Vijay Hiremath decided to "blog" to publish (existing) information on the death penalty in India at one spot. For a long time, we published news articles and other information regarding death penalty in India. Currently, there are more projects/researches done in India on death penalty. The blog is managed by Reena Mary George. Please mark all copies of your emails to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Friday, February 6, 2015
Death sentence to trio for rape, murder of five-year-old in Indore
HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Indore | Updated: Aug 21, 2014 08:03 IST
A double bench of the high court in Indore has upheld the death sentence given to three persons responsible for raping and murdering a five-year old girl. The trio had then threw her body in a nullah at Malviya Nagar. The incident had occurred two years ago.
Justice S K Seth and Justice P K Jaiswal upheld the death sentence given by the session court on April 26, 2013, to Babu alias Ketan (22), Jitu alias Jeetendra (20) and Sunny alias Devendra (22) for abduction, murder, rape and concealing evidences, said public prosecutor Deepak Rawal.
The defence had tried to argue that the identification of the three accused had been done wrongfully. Also, the seizure of the iron rod used to kill the girl was also not done as per the due procedure. Same was the case with the auto-rickshaw which was used to transport the five-year-old girl.
However, for the prosecution, the matching of the DNA profile of the three accused and the samples recovered from the body of the victim, helped prove the case. Also, the statements of an eye-witness who had seen one of the accused taking the little girl away with him, convinced the judges and they upheld the death sentence, Rawal said.
Source: http://www.hindustantimes.com/indore/death-sentence-to-trio-for-rape-murder-of-five-year-old-in-indore-upheld/article1-1254732.aspx [last accessed 06.02.2015]