Published: August 8, 2013 04:05 IST | Updated: August 8, 2013 15:59 IST
The Supreme Court on Thursdayextended until further orders its stay of the execution of Maganlal Barela , who was sentenced to death for beheading his five daughters after an argument with his two wives.
On Wednesday night the Chief Justice of India P Sathasivam passed an interim order of stay of executionat his residence around 11.30 pm after senior counsel Colin Gonsalves approached him with a plea to suspend the execution scheduled for Thursday morning.
Today during the resumedhearing before a bench of CJI and Justice Ms Ranjana Desai, counsel Colin Gonsalves submitted that the President didn't communicate the rejection of the mercy petition to the convict and he did not know when the mercy petition was rejected. He said there was no transparent and fair procedure in disposal of mercy petition.
The CJI said, " slowly we are creating one more jurisdiction after the Supreme Court dismisses the criminal appeal and the President rejects the mercy petition."However the bench directed the present petition filed by People's Union for Democratic Rights on behalf of the convict to be listed along with a batch of other petitions to be heard by a constitution bench which will determine questions relating to delay in disposal of mercy petitions by the President and connected issues.
Last month, the Sehore District and Sessions Court issued a black warrant for Mr. Barela’s execution after President Pranab Mukherjee rejected his clemency petition last month. His plea to commute his sentence to life imprisonment had been rejected by the High Court and the Supreme Court. Barela killed his five daughters, aged 1 to 6, with an axe in the village of Kaneria on June 11, 2010. He tried to hang himself after the crime, but was unsuccessful.
Source: http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/other-states/supreme-court-stays-execution-of-maganlal/article5001475.ece?homepage=true&ref=relatedNews [accessed 12th August 2013]